Coupon Deals

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

What to do with all of those cherries?

This year I picked cherries for the first time!  So fun, fast and easy!  My daughters and I managed to pick about 20 pounds in 20 minutes or so.  
I pitted them using a NorPro Cherry Pitter, which made the job really fast.  I plunked the pitted cherries into ziploc bags and put them into the freezer to enjoy throughout the year for smoothies and baking.  One of my girls loves cherry pie.  I'd never made one before so I went to the internet to find a good recipe.  I combined the pie filling recipe, with my friend's easiest pie crust recipe ever and my own crumb topping .  WOW, best pie ever!!  


Click Here for the Pie Crust Recipe from Red Head Can Decorate! 

Click Here for the Pie Filling Recipe
(For the filling, I used less sugar and omitted the food coloring.) I had made the filling earlier in the week and stored it in a quart jar in the fridge.  When it came time to make the pie, I added in a few of my cherries from the freezer because my pie dish was deeper than average.)

Crumb Topping
1/4 cup of softened butter
1/2 Cup of Flour
1/2 Cup of Sugar
1/2 Cup of Oats
Combine and sprinkle over assembled pie. 
 Bake at 350 for approx 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Quick, Easy and Super Yummy, definitely going to go in my list of "keeper recipes"!





1 comment: