1 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 gallon of vegetable stock (I've used chicken stock and even boullion cubes in a pinch!)
1/2 T pepper
1/2 T all spice
1/2 T ground ginger
- Combine the above and bring to a boil on the stove until the sugar and salt dissolve. Let it cool to room temperature. Combine the cooled brine solution and 1 gallon of ice water in a clean 5 gallon bucket.
- Place your thawed turkey breast side down in the bucket and cover. Keep in a cool area like the basement or garage, overnight.
The next morning:
- Heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Rinse turkey and place in roasting pan. Pat dry.
- Add the following into the cavity of the turkey:
- 1 apple quartered
- 1/2 onion quartered
- rosemary and sage.
- Rub turkey with canola oil. Form a double layer of aluminum foil to fit the turkey breast and set aside. Put turkey into the oven, uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, cover breast with the foil and return to the oven with a reduced temperature of 350 degrees. Roast until the turkey reaches an internal temp of 161 degrees. A 14-16 pound turkey will take 2- 2 1/2 hours. Let turkey rest, loosely covered for 15 minutes before carving.